Saturday, August 30, 2008

Loss of Internet



So the "reliable internet" that we had apparently been getting for the past week and a half suddenly conked out on Wednesday night. But on Thursday morning the BEST thing happened! I was sitting on the front porch, thinking about how far I would need to go to get something to eat that wasnt fast food, and from afar I hear "naranjas! bananas!" and other names of fruit and vegetables in spanish. Lo and behold, it was the fruit truck!!! We waved him down and he pulled right up in front of the house. I spoke a minimal amount of spanish with the man; enough to get a bag of bananas, a bag of huge nectarines, and an enormous avocado for $5.
Then, we decided to take the bus to the beach. We ended up on Venice beach, a place where you will find people from all walks of life. Body builders, skateboarders, pot smokers, artists, vendors of EVERY kind. It was awesome. I think next we'll check out Santa Monica.
Yesterday, we went to the City Year cook out in Pan Pacific Park. It only boosted my enthusiasm to meet all the radically different and interesting people participating in the program. I love the energy and the diversity of the corps. I'm so eager to start.
I'm sitting in the Los Angeles Public Library downtown and it is absolutely amazing. 8 floors. Incredible. I plan to spend a lot of time here.


No comments: